State Theater of Johnstown to host ’31 Days of Halloween’

Matt Churella, Staff Writer

A Halloween film series will be featured throughout October at the State Theater of Johnstown, which has been undergoing a $28 million renovation project since Eric and Amanda Reighard became its new operators last year.

Sixty-eight films will be featured as part of the series, including the premiere of a documentary created by the Johnstown-based RAMS Paranormal Crew.

Admission to each film is $5. All of the proceeds from the film series will go toward the theater’s renovation costs, with the exception of the RAMS Paranormal documentary.

“One of the members of their four-person crew tragically passed away at a young age from a heart attack,” Eric Reighard said, adding that the Ryan Flemming Scholarship was created by Flemming’s family along with the Community Foundation for the Alleghenies. “So, all of the proceeds from that night are going to go right back into the scholarship fund that’s going to help send a local student to college.”

The renovation efforts could take years to see fruition, but Reighard said the film series is helping to revitalize the downtown area now.

He and his wife met with other local business owners early on in the process to discuss opportunities to co-promote their businesses together.

“During the 31 Days of Halloween, we’re doing a promotion with Balance Restaurant where they’re going to be serving special dinners that coincide with our movie selection,” Reighard said. “If you come in and show your receipt that you were at Balance earlier, we’ll go ahead and give you a free item from the concession stand.”

One of the first renovation efforts that will be made to the theater, originally built in 1926, is to include an addition of elevators to make the building compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

“We think the arts are an important part of the community for everybody. So, providing those opportunities to people is paramount to us,” Reighard said.

Once the renovation is complete, the State Theater of Johnstown will include a mini-restuarant, Airbnb rentals and a stage for the performing arts. It will also include several screening rooms and a 1920s-style speakeasy.

Reighard said a similar “12 Days of Christmas” film series is planned for December. He also said other films, plays and musicals will be featured at the theater to promote the revitalization of downtown Johnstown.

The theater is located inside the Conemaugh Health System’s Lee Campus along Main Street.

For a complete list of the films shown throughout the series, please visit the theater’s website: https://www.statetheaterofjohnstown.com/31-days-of-halloween