Track and field has 6 qualifiers already

Yaxuan Wang, Sports Editor

Pitt-Johnstown’s Track and Field team already had six athletes qualified for an end of second conference championship meet before last Friday’s competition. 

They competed at a meet Friday with Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Union County.

Carl Keifer, Track and Field head coach, said he is excited to see so many of his athletes already qualified for the conference meet.

“We have many athletes that are very close to being qualified. To be qualified for the conference, they have to meet the required distance or time.

“These qualifications are fair and reachable. My goal this season is to make over 20 men and women athletes qualified. We try to move up,”

“We set our training at times. We break the schedules down. Every player has different plan according to their conditions,” Keifer said.

Jason Hunter, Pitt-Johnstown track and field assistant coach, said they have three jumpers qualified for the conference championship.

“We did well. Some school have facilities, so they can practice jumping on sand. With the facility we have, we’re pleased with the qualification.

“Our jumpers have qualified every year since I worked here. The conference will set distance that is what we have to make-what we shoot for.

‘’To help our jumpers to be qualified, we do a lot of running and jumping. And we also practice stair works. We started the training in late August.

“My goal is to make all my athletes qualified. We are not there yet, but we will be. Track is a team event; however, it’s also individual event. So each individual has to prepare themselves and move forward,” Hunter said.

Senior Conner Harriman, mid-distance runner, said he was happy to be qualified.

“To be qualified for the conference championship, we have to hit the time standard during the season. For example, for the mile run (1500m), I have to run under 4:29 to get qualified. And for the 3k, I have to run 9:05. I run the 1500m in the first meeting and 3k in second meeting.

“I’m excited to be qualified and able to go to the conference. I’m definitely trying to improve more for the next meet.

“I’ve been training basically for the last two years. We were coming off cross-country, and I run a lot during cross-country season. During winter, we work more on improving the speed to get ready.

“We have very young team this year. I’ve been qualified for conference championship for few days. Now we are trying to get more freshmen and sophomores to be qualified,” Harriman said.