2 jumpers finish first in opening

Yaxuan Wang, Sports Editor

The Pitt-Johnstown men’s and women’s Track and Field team finished their first event Jan. 12 at the West Virginia Invitation.

Carl Keifer, the Pitt-Johnstown head men’s track and field coach, said he was excited to have such a good opening meeting.

“We had more athletes qualify to go to the indoor conference championship than we did last year. 

“We are looking to improve our team standing at the indoor meet, last year we were ninth place,” Keifer said.

Freshman Rhoda Ogbo, a shot pot thrower, said they really had a good start.

“We did really well, she said of the West Virginia meet. We had two players qualified for the conference meet. 

“We also had two school records. We had another meeting last Friday. We keep practicing those stuff, and we are getting better.

“We have a new assistant coach (Nick Ramirez). I think he did good job,” Ogho said.

Sophomore Taylor Law, pole vaulter, said she was very excited about the new season.

“I already experienced last year, so I’m getting better and the team is, too. 

“For the new season, we did workouts over the summer. 

“I’d like to make the conference meet and become conference champion. That’s my goal.”

Freshman Chris Colligan, high jumper who got first place on the first meet, said he is looking forward to the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference competition. 

Colligan jumped 4 feet, 3.25 inches in West Virginia.

“It will be little harder this year for me because I’m freshman,” he said.

“As a team, I think we got a lot of people working together this year, so I really think it’s a good season. 

“First, we should tackle indoors, so I guess there will be a lot of work on those things. 

“Then we should get ready for the outdoor season. For me, I’d like to set a personal record first, probably. Then definitely looking for conference competition,” Colligan said.

Junior Brooke Leithner, long jumper, also got first place in West Virginia, covering 15 feet, 2  inches.

“I think we all are becoming stronger. We have a lot of personal records this first meeting. 

“I trained all summer long, and we came in the fall. We started working like a couple weeks before we moved in. We been training since October.

“I didn’t qualified for the conference last year. It’s my first year back in three. 

“I haven’t jumped in three years, so I’m back. My goal is to be qualified for conference.” Leithner said.