Softball to play four autumn games

Yang Chen

The Pitt-Johnstown softball team is training for a short fall ball season Spet. 12 at the softball field Sept. 12.

Yang Chen, Sports Editor

The Pitt-Johnstown softball team is going to start its fall ball season  this Saturday.

Pitt-Johnstown head softball coach Nicole Pecora said she and players hope to continue improving with the fall ball competition.

“Our goal is to continue taking the program one step forward. With the mix of our returners and freshmen we are excited to train and be competitive each day. 

“We are preparing for our fall games against Seton Hill, Pitt-Greensburg, Penn State-Fayette and Waynesburg that will be taking place the last two Saturdays of September,” Pecora said.

Junior Sam Hefferin played four years of baseball in high school and began assisting with the softball team last week.

“They are training very hard. The softball is larger than a baseball and  I think it’s harder to catch than a baseball,” Hefferin said.

Junior Kristie Radvan was named an all-conference player last season.

“The team was short by only two games of qualifying for playoff competition.

“I’m so excited for this year. We’re strong and hope to move into playoff games,” Radvan said.

Sophomore Hailei Markee played in 23 games and was a two-time starter in her freshman year.

“We’re on the right track to get better, and our hard work will get paid off in the future. We have bonded with each other as a family,

“Last season’s result is the starting point for our team, and we can move forward and move up more,” Markee said.