Women beat Clarion in conference match

Yang Chen, Sports Editor

The Pitt-Johnstown women’s basketball players built a 16-point lead and won 63-51 against Clarion University Feb. 9 at the Student Recreation Center at Clarion.

Sophomore point guard Alli McGrath led three Pitt-Johnstown double-digit scorers with 25 points, and made 75 percent of three point shots and got six rebounds, as the Mountain Cats improved to 8-8 in the conference.

“I practice shooting three-pointers a lot, and at my previous school my role was just to be a three-point shooter.

“I got the most assists last week, because my teammates get themselves in good positions to score, and I find them,” McGrath said.

Junior forward Gabby Smith got 13 points and the team-high of 11 rebounds in the game.

“My teammates do a great job of finding me, and (I’m) getting open looks at the basket.

“I know they are counting on me to score and finish the play off,” Smith said.

Smith got seven points from free throws in the game, and she also has the second-highest free throw points (191) in the conference.

“I shoot a lot of free throws. It’s all about (my) repetition and confidence in my game.

“That (free throw is) probably the shot I practice the most.

“I try to help my team in more ways than just scoring.

“I need to get rebounds, steals and assists, so even when shots are falling, I have to contribute,” Smith said.

The Pitt-Johnstown women’s basketball captain Tori Moreland was the last two-digit scorer and got six rebounds in the competition. 

“It’s very important for us to get all of our teammates involved offensively. 

“Doing so opens up gaps and positions to get easy looks at the basket.

“It’s important for me to set the example with how hard and intense we should play each game.

“It’s very important we play as hard as we can, and it’s my job to set that example and encourage my teammates,” Moreland said.

“Tori, as a captain, is the charge in the game, and is also a good scorer and a team leader,” head coach Mike Drahos said.