Wrestler, next man up, wins 16 of 17 contests

Ali Single

Brock Biddle holds his opponent at a Jan. 11 bout at the Sports Center against East Stroudsburg.

Justin Schmithorst, Managing Editor

This season, the Pitt-Johnstown wresting team has been plagued with injuries, but it may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise. 

That’s due to stellar wrestling from redshirt freshman Brock Biddle, who is 16-1 in bouts in his first season. He has had to filled in for injured wrestler Levi Neibauer at 184 pounds, despite being recruited at 157 pounds.  

His reward for being able to fill-in for Neibauer? Having to wrestle the fourth-ranked wrestler in Division II at the 184 pound weight class, Aidan Pusiak from Wheeling Jesuit University. 

Despite falling behind early 6-2, Biddle won the bout 16-6. 

According to Biddle, that was his second match of the season, after having to fill in for an injured Steve Edwards a week earlier at 174 pounds. According to Biddle, his one loss this season was at the conference tournament, and it was because he made some fundamental mistakes that cost him the match. 

“I couldn’t be having the season I am having without coach Pecora and other coaches. They are always telling the team to relax and not worry about the match, and just focus on scoring points,” Biddle said. 

“I knew he was going to be good,” head coach Pat Pecora said. 

According to Pecora, Biddle was a state-place winner out of high school, winning fourth place in the 157-pound weight class.

Pecora said that Biddle came out of Central Martinsburg High School, and that a high number of Pitt-Johnstown recruits come out of there. 

“He’s not just good, but excellent” Pecora said.Justin