Wrestling team starts year off well

Pitt-Johnstown+Junior+Alex+Delp+rides+his+opponent+on+Nov.+16+against+Millersville+University.+%7C+Photo%3A+Ali+Single+

Pitt-Johnstown Junior Alex Delp rides his opponent on Nov. 16 against Millersville University. | Photo: Ali Single

Yang Chen, Sports Editor

The Pitt-Johnstown wrestling team has performed well so far in 2019, with a 2-0 record. The team is 9-2 overall.

“There are some athletes who got injuries, but we still continued to do good in 2018,” head coach Pat Pecora said.

“We were good in 2018, and we have had a good start in 2019.” Pecora said. 

“We have four All-Americans. Out of ten (individual) national champions in the whole country, we had two national champions during 2018.” Pecora said.

One wrestler, junior Alex Delp, has a 6-3 record this year at 184 pounds. He was 3-8 last season.

“For the current season, the biggest differences from last year would have to be the way I’ve been training, both physically and mentally,” Delp said.

“I feel that, this year I am more intense and part of something greater than myself. I am extremely thrilled to be part of the Pitt-Johnstown wrestling brotherhood this year.”

Delp transferred from Pitt-Oakland during his first freshman semester.

He said he is determined to do his best this year.

“I believe that my strongest asset this year is my determination to never give up, and keep on going no matter how many times I fail or get knocked down.”

According to Delp, he needs to put more time and effort into improving his overall skill.

Delp said that his goal for the season is to compete at Nationals and become a national champion.”

Pecora said that the team’s goals are to win the conference, have individual champions and to get a top 10 ranking in the country.