Lady Cats dominate in homecoming match-ups

Pitt-Johnstown’s red shirt junior outside-hitter Marissa Erminio in the air with a spike as teammates watch the play develop.

Ali Single

Sarah Francowic, Sports Editor

The Pitt-Johnstown women’s volleyball team went 2-0 in conference matches last weekend, advavancing their record to 3-1 in the conference and 10-5 overall.

The Lady Cats faced Mercyhurst University in their home debut Friday, sweeping them 3-0.

Juniors outside hitter Cambria Wierman, middle hitter Kendall Mahoney and red-shirt junior outside hitter Marissa Erminio all had seven kills.

“We are more experienced than we were last year,” Wierman said.

“When we took our trip to Tampa (Fla.) we played nationally ranked teams, so that definitely helped the team to play with a higher intensity.”

Red-shirt junior setter Allison Mondorff tallied a match-high 26 set assists and seven digs.

Junior libero Devan Orr had a match-high 12 digs followed by eight digs from Wierman.

Erminio had a match-high 17 kills to lead the Lady Cats to a victory Saturday by sweeping a match from Gannon University.

Mondorff had a match-high 31 assists and seven digs. Orr tallied 19 digs and sophomore outside hitter Maura Brehl had four kills, 12 digs and five blocked assists.

Freshman middle-hitter Anna Johns had a high eight blocks for the Lady Cats.

“The team got a lot of great hitters with the freshman class; Anna (Johns)  is an amazing middle blocker,” Wierman said.

Wierman said the teams biggest motivation this year is to get further than the team did last season.

“We have been playing really good competitors lately, so playing better teams will help us prepare for the National Collegiate Athletic Association Tournament,” Wierman said.

Mahoney said how close her and her teammates are helps on and off the court.

“Everyone is really good at communicating this season, we are extremely close so it transitions over to the court when we play,” Mahoney said.

Pitt-Johnstown is on the road with Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference match-ups at West Chester University and Cheyney University on Friday and Saturday.

Pitt-Johnstown’s Marissa Erminio was also named Central Division Athlete of the Week.