Lady Cats finish strong before hosting playoffs

Freshman+outside+hitter+Maura+Brehl+sends+the+ball+over+the+net+as+assistant+coach+Justin+Haupt+and++sophomore+middle+hitter+Gabriell+Carney+attempt+to+block+the+attack+during+practice+last+week.+

Asha Njeri

Freshman outside hitter Maura Brehl sends the ball over the net as assistant coach Justin Haupt and sophomore middle hitter Gabriell Carney attempt to block the attack during practice last week.

Sarah Francowic, Staff Writer

Pitt-Johnstown women’s volleyball team closed out the 2015 regular season home schedule Nov. 7 by sweeping East Stroudsburg in three sets.

With the wins,  the Lady Cats took the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Eastern Division regular season title. The team finished the regular season with a 28-5 overall record, 19-3 in conference play.

Key player Kendall Mahoney has missed four games due to a knee injury she sustained against Shippensburg University Oct. 30.

“I’m trying to rest as much as possible so I’m healthy for the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Tournament,” she said.

“I begin practicing again on Thursday, and hopefully, I’ll be playing against West Chester on Friday.”

Even with Mahoney out, the team has a lot of depth to it, and sophomore Gabriell Carney has stepped up as middle hitter, said outside hitter Cam Wierman.

“The whole team misses having Kendall on the court, but we always try to play our best,” said Wierman.

Pitt-Johnstown closes out the regular season with a road loss to West Chester University last Friday and a doubleheader sweep of Cheyney University Saturday before opening the 2015 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Tournament against West Chester Tuesday in the Sports Center.

Volleyball team members are excited to host the conference tournament this year said both Mahoney and Wierman.

“I’m really hoping that we will come out of this week conference champions, and I honestly would love to play Lock Haven or Clarion since those are the only two conference teams we’ve lost to this season,” said Mahoney.

If the Lady Cats win the quarterfinals Tuesday they are to host the semifinals Friday and the championship game Saturday.