New faces on the team bring new potential

Sarah Francowic, Staff Writer

After ending their season last year 10-16 overall and averaging 75.4 points per game, the UPJ women’s basketball team hope to do better this season with the addition of four recruits.

“We have a lot of potential to do great things. The seniors want to win more than ever since it is their last year to prove something about us,” said sophomore guard Nikki Corcoran.

Two-time All-State selection guard Ana Hollen, six-foot guard/forward Tori Moreland, point guard Laurel O’Barto and Guard Abbey Sporio are new faces on the court this season.

Freshman Tori Moreland said she could se the team’s potential.

I think that we have a lot of potential to do great things this season. We have amazing senior leaders who are great to look to for advice on and off the court.

“Our team chemistry is really strong and it shows on the court. “We are always having a great time even at the 6 a.m. workouts.”

The team tips-off the 2015-16 season Nov 18-21 at the Shepherd (W.Va)

They open their third season in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Nov. 18 with home games against defending NCAA National Champion California University Nov. 21 against West Chester University and Nov. 22 Cheyney University.

The Lady Cats basketball team was picked to finish seventh of nine teams in the West division in the 2015-16 preseason coaches poll, released  Thursday.

The team is run by third-year head coach Mike Drahos and assistant coach Jacqueline Kestner.