Ultimate group gets 30 more to play

Pitt-Johnsotwn Flood Ultimate team practices hard in preparation for their upcoming season starting this fall. The team plans to participate in four tournaments, but the fist competition is to be determined.

Moriah Howell

Emily Moore, Sports Editor

Pitt-Johnstown’s Flood Ultimate Frisbee players are determined to stand out this season.

Over the last two years, the Flood lost some good players, but with an exceptional turnout this year, senior Captain and President Evan Johnson said the future looks bright for the team.

Recruiting apparently paid off. The first practice was held Sept. 9 with about 30 new players, most of them freshmen.

Sophomore Assistant Captain Julien Robinet said that one player showed up also stood out.

“I was happy with all of the new people that came out. It was especially nice to see the players who already had prior ultimate experience,” said Robinet.

Johnson said he thinks the experienced newcomers, including Graham Jones, Bradnon Ball and Jason Cuban, will be major assets in promoting the sport on campus and in tournament play.

“Even with the experienced players this year, one of our biggest challenges will be teaching the sport because there are so many newcomers,” said Johnson.

“I think that, in a month or so, everyone will have the rules down and will be ready for our tournaments.”

Robinet said he enjoyed meeting the new players and being able to see their talent.

“The rules of the game are not that hard to pick up, so, with all of our help this year, I think we will do very well in tournaments,” said Robinet.

There are four returning players this year, Robinet, Johnson, Assistant Captain James Maloney and Captain Brandon Hines.

This season, the Flood plays four tournaments in the fall, two in the winter and five in the spring.

The tournaments are to take place in West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania.

This semester, the team will be attending tournaments at California (Pa.) University, St. Vincent College (Latrobe, Pa.), Clarion (Pa.) University and Indiana  (Pa.) University.

The Flood also hosts a tournament called the Jymmy Jam with the tentative date on Oct. 17 and 18.

At the Jymmy Jam, the Flood plays a team of former players called the Flood Alumni. That game is an annual get together of all the ultimate players in UPJ Flood history.

“We will be playing all of the college teams that are hosting the tournaments we attend, but we will also be playing many other college teams, and we play a high school team that is impressive,” said Robinet.

As the team starts their season, Johnson said that their main goal for this year is to have a good time and help create some great ultimate players for the future of the flood.

‘This season is really exciting for the redevelopment of our team,” said Johnson.

A date for the first tournament has yet to be set.