Overtime header decides champions

Overtime header decides champions

‘Merica warms up for the intramural soccer championship game at the intramural fields Oct. 21

Bobby Scott, Sports Editor

It took two overtimes to decide the Pitt-Johnstown intramural soccer championship game was held Oct. 21 at the intramural fields on campus.

The game went right down to the wire has team ‘Merica defeated team No Rules Redemption 3-2 in two overtimes.

Both teams were neck and neck throughout the title match with one team scoring right after the other all the way through the match.

“(‘Merica) scored the first goal of the game within the first five minutes,” No Rules Redemption team member, Sid Savani said.

“Then we scored on them about a minute or two later.”

No Rules Redemption owned their first lead of the game at the beginning of the second half to give them the 2-1 lead.

“One of our players made a great cross which allowed our striker to chip the ball over the goalie’s head,” Savani said.

No Rules Redemption held the lead for the majority of the second half until ‘Merica found a way to tie with just minutes to go in the game.

“Toward the end of the game, we scored off of a corner kick” ‘Merica team member, Kyle Petak said.

With the score tied at two at the end of regulation, the first overtime remained scoreless.

“Early in the second overtime (junior Stephen Korenoski scored the game winning goal) off of a header from a corner kick,” Petak said.

The goal gave team ‘Merica the intramural soccer championship but there was some apparent controversy in the game’s winning goal.

“It was a great game played by our team as one unit,” Savani said.  “The game did end in a questionable goal so it was a bitter loss for us.”

The question on the field was whether Korenoski ran into the goalie while scoring the game winning goal.

“(No Rules Redemption) thought our player fouled the goalie and the referee disagreed.” Petak said.  “It was a clean play. (Korenoski) just went up for the ball, headed it in and scored.”

“(It was not until) after (the goal) the goalkeeper fell over.”