More Pitt Stops soon to be added

Alyssa Coleman, News Editor

to receive discounts and other deals from local businesses thanks to the cooperation between student government members and local business managers.

Recreation and Publicity Committee Chairman Mike Garansci said there are currently 20 stores that have discounts offered for Pitt-Johnstown students through the Pitt Stop Program.

“We go to the locations and discuss a discount opportunity and the owner signs a contract that we create for them,” he said.

Garansci said that a list of businesses that offer discounts is available on the student government’s Twitter account.

Posters can also be found on campus listing the businesses and the type of discounts they offer.

“All (students) have to do is look at our Twitter account or ask someone at the place to see what exactly the discount is,” he said.

Businesses that offer the Pitt Stop discount change every year.  

Some businesses included in the program this year are Main Moon, offering a 10% discount, the Taco Bell located near the Galleria, offering a 10% discount and Wendy’s, offering a discount of 20% off of an order up to $10.

Other locations include Pizza Hut, offering a 20% discount excluding promotions and other coupons, Denny’s, offering a 10% discount and Papa John’s, offering an extra-large one topping pizza for $7.99 or two medium one topping pizzas for $5.99 each.

All local businesses participating in the Pitt Stop Program have a Pitt Stop sticker displayed in the front window or at the register.

Garansci said it is mostly local restaurants that are involved in the program, but there is a barber shop and a Vape Vibe store.

He said the usual discount is a simple 10% off, but that every business is different. 

Student government members can make a discount suggestion, but, ultimately, it is up to the business managers.

He said student government members are always getting suggestions from students as to what locations they would like to have available for discounts.

“In addition, we are currently in the process of updating and adding new Pitt Stop locations for the students,” Garansci said.

“We have plans to go to a whole list of places that were brought up in a previous (student government) meeting.

“Also, we can add contracts at any time so if students want us to try one we haven’t yet, then they are always welcome to come to any senator and then they will either pass the student to my committee or pass the request to me.”

Student Government President Devin Seiger said he feels students enjoy being offered discounts for local businesses.

“I think students like finding out that they can get discounts at places to eat around Johnstown,” he said.

“I think the biggest thing is making sure that students are aware of all the places they can get discounts, which is why we want to make sure we advertise them to students as much as possible.”