More aid announced

Lucy Li, Features Editor

Federal Pell Grant recipients across five Pitt campuses may be eligible for the Pitt Success Pell Match Program, which was launched Feb. 22, to begin Fall 2019.

Communications and Public Relations Director Eric Sloss said he thinks this is a unique program.

“(The Pitt Success Pell Match Program) does not replace the Pell Grant, it matches it,” he said. “You can be eligible for both. It’s an additional support to students. It’s very unique for a university to provide additional financial support, and it’s a wonderful opportunity for students who need the support.” 

According to an announcement made through Chancellor Patrick Gallagher’s office, this program is the most significant financial aid restructure in Pitt-Johnstown’s history.

“We expect that the university’s investment in students and families with financial need will increase by 47 percent, compared (with) just five year ago.

“(And) at our four regional campuses—where financial need in our community runs highest—this program is poised to increase Pitt’s average need-based award by 114 percent relative to five years ago,” Gallagher said in the announcement.

As one of the five Pitt campuses, Pitt-Johnstown students are to be eligible for the program, too.

“The federal Pell Grant helps students and families with the greatest financial need pay for college, (and) the Pitt Success Pell Match Program will maximize the power of this federal program by matching it dollar-for-dollar,” Gallagher said.

According to the Pitt-Johnstown website, one of the program’s benefits is that it would immediately reduce an eligible student’s financial obligation.

“We expect recipients to be able to reduce time spent at paid employment and to expand their time engaged in studies or university activities with less worry about financial commitments and constraints.”