Nation’s leaders to talk here

Angel Clarke-Paulakos, Contributing Writer

Former Vice President Dick Cheney and former CIA Director Leon Panetta are to speak Nov. 12 at Pitt-Johnstown for two sessions: one for VIPs who pay admission and one free session for the nonpaying public.

The VIP session, which starts at 4:30 p.m. with an hourlong forum, is to be followed by a private recepetion and will be held in the John P. Murtha Center for Public Service and National Competitiveness’ auditorium and will be moderated by Johnstown native Richard Verma, who was the U.S. ambassador to India from 2015 to 2017.

The VIP session is to last to 6:30 p.m. and costs $150 per ticket. A John P. Murtha Foundation sponsorship, which costs $1,250, provides two tickets for the VIP session’s forum and reception.

VIPs are to be greeted by John Murtha’s widow, Joyce, according to a John P. Murtha Foundation representative.

The representative also added that VIP proceeds go toward the foundation’s supporting organization, Community Foundation for the Alleghenies.

Pitt-Johnstown senior Brian Feronti said he believes the VIP price is worth paying if it benefits the John P. Murtha Foundation.

“‘I think students and faculty in the Political Science (Department) will probably be super interested,” Feronti said.

Social Sciences Division Chair Ray Wrabley said the John P. Murtha Foundation is sponsoring the VIP session to raise funds for Murtha Fellow Scholarships, which are to be awarded to Pitt-Johnstown students.

Wrabley said he hopes many students can attend the free open-to-the-public event, which is to be held at 7 p.m. in the John P. Murtha Engineering and Science building’s Paul H. Saylor auditorium, which he said seats about 230 people.

“I would encourage all students to attend,” Wrabley said. “Vice President Cheney and Secretary Panetta served for decades in multiple presidential administrations in the highest positions.  They sat at the table when hugely significant decisions were made, some of them, extremely controversial.”

Although the hourlong public-moderated discussion requires a ticket for the general public to enter, Wrabley said Pitt-Johnstown students will not need a ticket to get in.

“I had a conversation (Oct. 11) about this with the organizers.  Students will not be required to have a ticket,” he said. “We want to minimize the obstacles for attending.”

However, the general public may still need a ticket for entry into the discussion.

To register for a ticket, call 814-269-2080 or go to https://tinyurl.com/ya55a3bf.

Pitt-Johnstown junior Jonathon Heming said he believes most attendees will likely show for the free session instead of the VIP forum.

“I just can’t see enough people willing to pay if they can see them for free. I personally would rather go to the free session.”

Both Cheney and Panetta are former defense secretaries.

Cheney, a Republican, served as defense secretary under former President George H. W. Bush and as vice president under George W. Bush.

Panetta, a Democrat, served in former President Barack Obama’s administration.

Both men are to provide valuable insight, according to a press release from the John P. Murtha Foundation. 

“Since they served on opposite sides of the political aisle, they will provide valuable insight into the role of bipartisan leadership, as well as personal experience working with the late Congressman John P. Murtha.”

Matt Churella contributed to this article.