Mt. Cat Club is reopened for students

Breanna Berkebile

The Mt. Cat Club reopened Nov. 10. The club is opened Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Matt Churella, News Editor

Pitt-Johnstown students can once again enjoy French fries and chicken tenders at the Student Union’s Mt. Cat Club.

The club was reopened Nov. 10 by an administrative request, according to Sodexo General Manager Kevin Dicey.

“The Mt. Cat (Club) reopened at the request of (Pitt-Johnstown) administration,” Dicey said.

Student government President Joe Evanko said members concern about the club closing to Pitt-Johnstown President Jem Spectar.

That meeting, a dinner at Spectar’s residence, apparently took place Nov. 9.

The Advocate first notified the community of the Mt. Cat Club closing in an Oct. 11 article and editorialized advocating for its reopening Oct. 18.

Dicey said that sales were low and that was Sodexo’s reason behind closing the Mt. Cat Club earlier this year.

The club, which originally opened at 7 p.m., now is open 9 p.m. to midnight Thursdays and 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays, according to Sodexo’s website.

Dicey said the later opening is to allow the room to remain available to student organizations for events earlier in the evening.

“We are opening with the late-night buffet only to allow clubs on campus to use the Mt. Cat (Club) for their events before 10 p.m.,” Dicey said.

“We also want to have a food option on weekends so students don’t drive off campus.”

Sophomore Tim Rohm said that, although he has not eaten food in the Mt. Cat Club, he said that other students should be able to do so.

“I’m a commuter, so I really don’t go there.

“If people have an interest in it, it should be opened,” Rohm said.

Rohm said new menu options might increase the Mt. Cat Club’s sales.

“They can’t keep serving (a limited variety of) food and expect people to keep coming,” Rohm said.

Sophomore John Bach said he ate at the Mt. Cat Club before it closed. Bach said he thinks it’s good to hear of its reopening.

“I think it’s good. I used to like the wings,” Bach said.

Bach said he thinks students would return to patronize the Mt. Cat Club for its buffet.

“From what I knew, (the buffet) was a good hit,” Bach said.