Pitt chancellor asks support for money

Breanna Berkebile, Editor-in-Chief

Last Thursday, Pitt Chancellor Patrick Gallagher sent another email to the Pitt community stating that university officials still have yet to receive 2017-2018 funding from Pennsylvania’s government.

The previous email was sent Sept. 7. Since then, the situation remains at a standstill, despite the deadline for the state government to distribute funds at the end of October, according to a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article.

Gallagher, in the email, stated that when the university’s budget and tuition rates were passed over the summer, Pitt administrators expected to receive full funding.

This, however, is a need that hasn’t been met yet, causing worry among Pitt officials, according to Gallagher.

“Amid budget delays and ongoing debate, we did not want to pass Harrisburg’s uncertainty along to our students and their families.

“However, with our first semester approaching the mid-way point—and no state revenue plan in place—we may be forced to assume that no state funding is forthcoming and amend our University’s budget accordingly.”

These delayed funds play an important role in the university, without them, the university could face serious changes, according to Gallagher.

“State funds enable us to lower the cost of in-state tuition by about $11,000 per student.

“Without this support, thousands of students from Pennsylvania would see tuition rates rise at Pitt and other flagship institutions,” read the email.

Pennsylvania State University officials also mentioned the possibility of an increased tuition.

According to a Penn State Daily Collegian article, due to the potential loss of funds, Penn State officials are considering raising the in-state tuition about $36,000 and adding a spring tuition surcharge.

Gallagher, in his email, stated that some of Pennsylvania’s best assets benefited from a Pitt education; therefore, it is important that the funding be distributed to the university.

Pitt community members can visit www.p2a.co to contact state representatives to aid in the fight to ensure Pitt funding.