Senators are supposed to dress up to govern

Student+government+members+talk+at+the+Feb.+7+meeting.+It+is+stated+in+the+organization%E2%80%99s+constitution+that+members+are+to+dress+business+casual+for+meetings.+

Peijia Zhang

Student government members talk at the Feb. 7 meeting. It is stated in the organization’s constitution that members are to dress business casual for meetings.

Peijia Zhang, Editor-in-Chief

Kyle Maguire, Pitt-Johnstown student government president, said he has matched his dress shirt, a suit and tie every Tuesday night since his freshman year.

Student government has 9 p.m. meetings, which all members are required to attend every Tuesday Student Union Cambria Room.    

“Business casual (attire at meetings) has been executive board (members’) decision since my freshman year,” Maguire said.

He said he personally prefers to put on a suit and a tie, but wearing a dress shirt or a polo shirt with casual pants would suffice.

“As long as they (members) look presentable and official, as they are representatives for the student body, I am fine with whatever everyone chooses to wear.”

Taking 45 minutes to dress up seems to be on Pitt-Johnstown student government members’ weekly calendar.

“I first shower (and) then shave, if need be.

“Find a dress shirt and tie combination (next),

“Then, I pick my suit; and by that time, you need to do the hair and brush the teeth,” Maguire said.

At Feb. 7’s student government’s meeting, Ivana Djiya, who had been inducted as a student senator only two weeks before, wore shiny black heels and a maroon-colored lace short dress that matched her lipstick color.

Djiya said she also takes about 45 minutes to get ready for the meetings.

“I either wear a sweater with a respectable skirt or a business dress, both with heels, of course.”

Djiya said she is supportive of the attire because it makes members look professional.

“I already had a few business clothes since I was in Future Business Leaders of America in high school,” Diya said.

“Some girls from (student government) live in my hall (too), so if I ever run out, I just ask them.”

She said, for her routine, she puts on makeup, her clothes and shoes; then, she grabs a binder for the meetings and heads out,” Diya said.

Freshman Zachary Hoover said he had never attended a student government meeting, but he likes members to dress up more formally.

“You are taken more seriously and (are) more presentable by dressing up.”