Phone-charging stations are proposed

Matt Churella, Contributing Writer

Students who use a cell phone on campus may have issues with their phone’s battery life.

Student Government Student Affairs Committee Chair Jeff Wainwright said he would like to get a charging station for each of Pitt-Johnstown buildings in which many students can congregate.

Students would be able to charge their phone at these stations.

However, Wainwright said these stations are not guaranteed to be installed.

“It’s being processed in administration as of right now,” Wainwright said.

Wainwright said the student government is waiting for an answer.

“We’re still waiting to hear back,” Wainwright said.

Wainwright said Finance and Administration Vice President Amy Buxbaum would determine whether these stations will be in Pitt-Johnstown’s future.

Wainwright said the estimated cost of each station will be $300 to $700.

Wainwright said that each station could charge several devices at once, but the number of available cables would depend on which type of phone each student has.

“I would estimate between 6 to 10 devices could be charged at the same time,” Wainwright said.

Wainwright said he got the idea of charging stations to Pitt-Johnstown when he saw that Pitt-Oakland has similar stations in their library.

Wainwright said each station would resemble a music stand, and any student would be able to charge their phone’s charge partially within minutes.

“Students would be able to come and go as they please.

“If a phone is left at a station, it will be turned over to campus police,” Wainwright said.

Wainwright said the administrative process takes a while, because the stations need to be purchased, delivered and then installed throughout Pitt-Johnstown.

Wainwright also said Pitt-Johnstown students might be able to start using these stations as early as the last two weeks of this semester, but the stations are not likely to be on campus until the fall semester.

“Fall of 2017 would probably be a very reliable estimate,” Wainwright said.

“Right now, we are just seeing our options, and we will iron out the details from there,” Wainwright said.

Freshman Madison Neill said she feels the charging stations would benefit students.

“Some students use their phone to access their e-mail, so they would need it,” Neill said.

Neill said, however, she has little interest in using these stations.

“I would have a problem with security; I would rather go back to my room and charge it there,” Neill said.

However, Neill said she believes these stations would provide a benefit to Pitt-Johnstown’s commuter students who might not be able to return home to charge up.

“We’re so tech-savvy, and I feel like they would give us a step up, especially for the commuter students,” Neill said.

Senior Jason Molnar said he also thinks the stations would help commuter students.

“It would be nice for the commuters, who would need it the most,” Molnar said.

Molnar said, though, he doesn’t think the addition of charging stations to campus is necessary.

“They might increase student happiness,” Molnar said.