Former Pitt-Johnstown student is remembered at funeral service

Charles J. Deyarmin is in a Facebook profile photo.

Peijia Zhang, Editor-in-Chief

Charles J. Deyarmin, a former Pitt-Johnstown biology student, was pronounced dead 7:50 a.m. Jan. 30 at Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center.

He was 19 years old.

According to Cambria County Coroner Jeffrey Lees’ record, anoxic brain injury from suicide caused his death.

A viewing from 3 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Moriconi Funeral Home at Northern Cambria, had more than 400 attendees.

Brian F. Moriconi, the funeral home’s supervisor, said another viewing and funeral service were to follow Friday at Kinport Assembly Church in Cherry Tree, Indiana County, where Deyarmin was from.

Deyarmin’s mother, Marcy Gooderham, said he had transferred to Mount Aloysius College, where he was a commuter, after his freshman year at Pitt-Johnstown.

In one of the hundreds of photos displayed at the viewing, Deyarmin smiles, looking into the camera, in a Pitt-Johnstown T-shirt that reads “Class of 2019”.

Deyarmin had been graduated in 2015 from Purchase Line High School, according to Erica Abrams, who had been graduated in a same high school class, and now is a sophomore at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Abrams said that while she was not close with Deyarmin, she was close with one of his best friends.

“He was very kind, caring and a great friend to many – a type of friend (who) was there when you needed someone.”