Ongoing construction kindles adaptation

Kaitlin R. Greenockle, Editor-In-Chief

The Engineering and Science Building’s construction is creating some changes for faculty and students.

Engineering Technology Division Director Jerry Samples said for the first construction phase, all the building’s staff and faculty members had to do was move some things out of the way.

For the second phase, everyone has to move out of the building, according to Samples.

“We will go into another building, or more likely trailers that will be parked somewhere on campus,” Samples said.

He said he hadn’t heard of any complaints from students or faculty about noise or anything until Feb. 23.

“We are engineers; we are used to this stuff,” Samples said.

Samples said it will be nice having an upgraded building. He added that he is looking forward to new classrooms, labs and workspace.

In regards to the construction workers, he said, they clean up every day and are friendly.

“I haven’t had any issues (with the construction workers), and they seem to be doing quality work for what I can see,” Samples said.

Senior engineering student Neville D’Agaro has embedded systems class, power systems class and communications class in the Engineering and Science Building. All of his labs are located there as well.

“Sometimes there is noise that is distracting, and other times there are burning smells,” D’Agaro said.

“But it’s nothing too hard to deal with.”

If there is a distraction from the construction, he said, shutting the classroom door usually reduces the noise.

D’Agaro said when he was in high school, they had to go into trailers during renovations for a few months.

“The only hard part is having the teacher go from one end of the room to the other, which makes it difficult to hear him if he does not speak loudly,” D’Agaro said.

He said that as long as the laboratories and equipment are accessible for the rest of the semester, he thinks the timing for construction was coordinated well.

Junior engineering student Cody Brown said the construction hasn’t interfered with his classes.

He said occasionally when he is in the auditorium, he hears power tools buzzing, but it is never loud enough to disrupt the teacher.

“I tend to use the front door of the Engineering and Science Building more often to avoid the construction workers moving supplies by the elevators, but other than that it is not much of a problem,” Brown said.