Wings draw in students for brainstorming event

Left to right, freshmen Allura Rigoni, Kay Morris and Nick Clarke write down campus suggestions for student government members to think about at a brainstorm event.

Kaitlin R. Greenockle

Temperance Moore, Staff Writer

More than 70 people attended a brainstorm event Dec. 2 held by Student Government Association leaders.

The event, held to gather opinions on what student government should do, got suggestions that tennis courts be built on campus and parking lots get paving and painted lines refreshed.

Free wings may have been the reason for a portion of the healthy attendance.

According to student government Campus Development Chair Matthew Christina, government leaders are looking for more ideas.

“Basically what we want to do is find more out-of-the-box ideas. Things that everybody kind of agrees on, but maybe I don’t necessarily know about,” Christina said.

Student Government member and Pitt-­Johnstown student Hannah Miller said she was also interested to hear the opinions and ideas of other students.

“Recently we’ve noticed that a lot of students are voicing that they don’t think their opinions and their issues are being brought forth.

So this is an opportunity to hear what the students have to say because we do represent the students, and we really want to make sure that we’re doing our job at doing that; we hear what they have to say.” Miller said.

The students were prompted to write their ideas on a sheet of paper placed on each table at the event.

Pitt­-Johnstown student Jack O’Donnell offered some ideas.

“I’m in the Tennis Club and we should add  tennis courts so that we don’t have to drive 30 minutes to the tennis court in Ebensburg and then drive 30 minutes back, so it’s like an hour commute.

“I also think we should pave parking lots and make them bigger for freshmen,” O’Donnell said.

Alexa Chavera, freshman, said parking lot lines designating spaces are fading and should be refreshed.