Budget news reaches few

Back row, left to right: Nicole Forstoffer, Madison Nick and Brady Willis. And front row, left to right: Allison Tepper, Bethany Gould, Arielle Sloss and Jocelyn Hartman at budget meeting.

Kaitlin R. Greenockle

Kaitlin R. Greenockle, News Editor

Student Government Association members held an informational meeting Oct. 6 on how to budget for clubs and organizations.

Student Government President Shelby Smith had the idea to inform club and organization members before the actual budgeting process starts, so it would go more smoothly than in the past.

The only clubs and organizations with representatives in attendance were Time-Out Christian Fellowship, Phi Sigma Sigma and Kappa Zeta.

Smith said she had hoped to get more student organization members’ input on what they need from the budgeting process.

“I wanted to help ease the burden that clubs have of trying to map out how much money they will need for an entire year because we do understand it’s hard to plan that far in advance,” said Smith.

Smith said she had hoped for a bigger turnout but knew it might have been small because of insufficient advertising.

She plans to have at least one more meeting before the end of the semester, but, this time, Smith and Student Government Allocations Committee members will present the budgeting process and requirements along with taking suggestions from club and organization members, according to Smith.   

Student Government President Pro-Tempore Madison Nick said there has been discussion about budgeting process flaws.

Her advice to those who have to deal with budgeting is to provide allocations committee members with as much proof as possible. Also, to do as much fundraising they can because committee members take that into consideration when allocating money.

Time-Out Christian Fellowship President Jocelyn Hartman went to the meeting because she thought it would be beneficial to see how the budgeting process works.

“It wasn’t what I expected it to be. From the email, I figured there would be more organizations there and more discussion,” Hartman said.

She said, last year she was Time-Out Christian Fellowship treasurer, and she understands all that goes into the budget and how painstaking a task it is.

“I think they (Student Government members) could help clubs on campus by having more opportunities for clubs to attend meetings for budgeting in the spring,” Hartman said.

Hartman said that she thinks Student Government members make themselves available for any questions and concerns, but she doesn’t think club and organization members take advantage of what they offer.

She also said that she can understand why some club and organization members get upset about certain clubs and organizations getting much bigger allocations than others, but, after the meeting, she said she was able to learn more about how they budget and that it makes sense and is fair.

“After being at the meeting, I am looking forward to some of the revisions that they will be making for the budgeting process and hope that it will help to resolve future issues,” Hartman said.