Scholarships in works for leadership

Scholarships in works for leadership

Parliamentarian Nick Digiorgio (left) and Executive Board Representative Kevin Grimm (right) prepare before a March Student Government Association meeting.

Brooke Boyer, Copy Editor

At a Student Government Association meeting in March, Campus Development Chair Nick Digiorgio suggested his idea of a student leadership scholarship.

The Student Government Association voted unanimously to sponsor the scholarship when Digiorgio suggested the idea, according to Digiorgio.

“We will aggressively fundraise $50,000 in the next five years to place into an endowment,” he said.

The endowment will provide 5 percent interest off of our investment, which will fund the $500 scholarships (five in total) every year in perpetuity.”

Digiorgio acknowledged that he knows how hard it is for good, honest,  and hardworking students to get aid.

“I knew I wanted to make a difference so with the help of the Campus Development Committee, we made this idea a reality,” said Digiorgio.

According to Digiorgio, eligible students are to write a letter to the association as to how they have stood out in their organization and why they deserve the award.

The award is to be given every spring semester, according to Digiorgio.

Digiorgio said, that with the help of Development Alumni Relations Executive Director Jesse Pisors in institutional advancement and career services in drafting designs on promotional material, the process is moving in the right direction for a student leadership award.

Students might be more willing to join more organizations and become more involved as leaders when they find out they could be awarded for their hard work and dedication at Pitt-Johnstown.

Jordan Noble, co-vice president of the Pitt-Johnstown Chemical Society and Vice President of Concert Choir said she feels that students are always looking for scholarship opportunities due to how expensive college has become.

She said she would be interested in pursuing the opportunity for this award.

“Students tend to appreciate being rewarded for extra work besides their academics,” Noble said.

Junior Nicole Gross is to be the secretary of the Kappa Zeta sorority next semester.

Gross said she did not know that an award was in the making and thought it was a good idea because people holding these positions are typically full-time students with a lot on their plates.

“It’s nice that the Student Government Association wants to reward student leaders for their hard work and dedication,” Gross said.