Homecoming to be held virtually this year

The 2020 Homecoming Court King and Queen coronation is to take place virtually on Friday.

Callie Burgan, News Editor

Although COVID-19 has impeded on most in-person campus festivities, the 2020 Pitt-Johnstown Homecoming Court seniors are refusing to be stifled, remaining optimistic for an unusual and out of the ordinary Spirit Week.

According to Activities and Engagement Director Heather Hall, Spirit Week will be held virtually this year to keep the community safe.

Ballots have been emailed to Pitt email addresses for the Pitt community to vote on their Homecoming King and Queen. Friday Nov. 6 is the last day to vote. The coronation is scheduled for 5 p.m.

Senior Lexi Weber was one of the thirteen upperclassmen chosen to be on court and is representing the Education Club.

“I’m so humbled and honored to be on homecoming court this year. It feels so great to know that I have made an impact on this campus and my involvement has been recognized.

“I love Pitt-Johnstown, and, even more so, I love that I am able to share this experience of being on court with my friends.” Weber said.

Senior Tyler Weakland, representing Alpha Kappa Psi, said he is honored to be chosen for Court during such a significant year.

“Being chosen by my brothers of Alpha Kappa Psi has really made me realize how important brotherhood actually is. This is going to be my third year as a brother, and I wouldn’t change anything.

“Alpha Kappa Psi has really grounded me to campus as well as a worldwide organization for the rest of my life. With COVID-19 pandemic hindering most of the homecoming festivities, I’m still impressed that Pitt-Johnstown has been able to mask up and stay mountain cat strong by keeping everyone involved and engaged whether you’re remote or on campus.” Weakland said.

Madison Augustine, representing College Democrats, said being nominated for homecoming court is an honor.

“I have been dedicated to my organization since I joined as a member and have been lucky enough to serve as president. To be nominated just reminds me that I put my all into being involved on campus and being a student leader.

“The homecoming experience is definitely different this year, but I’m extremely thankful to be a part of it – regardless of it being virtual or in person.”

Senior Tessa Fry, who is representing UPJ Cheerleading, said she is Mountain Cat proud to stand on court with individuals she has had the opportunity to share so many laughs, experiences and memories with over the past four years.

“Although this year is anything but typical, these individuals nominated make their Pitt-Johnstown home unique and memorable for all. Again, I am very appreciative of the opportunity to represent such a strong community of individuals as we forge through life together.

“Hailing from home this year, the spirit of Homecoming still resonates within our Mountain Cat Community as we come together once again as a family to engage and make the most of the time we have left together here at Pitt-Johnstown remaining Mountain Cat strong.” Fry said.

Senior Isa Lanthaler, who is also representing Alpha Kappa Psi, said she was surprised to be selected to be on the court this year.

“I am representing Alpha Kappa Psi,the Professional Business Fraternity on campus. All of our members are extremely ambitious and driven towards success. I was honored to be selected.”

To add to the fun, November 5 is “Blue and Gold Day” on campus.  If a student is “caught” wearing Pitt-Johnstown apparel by a Program Board member, they are able to win free school merchandise.

The full list of Homecoming Court seniors are as follows:

Madison Augustine representing College Democrats

Tessa Fry representing UPJ Cheerleading

Nick Mowad representing UPJ Cheerleading and Kappa Delta Rho Fraternity

Jillian Badgley representing Phi Sigma Sigma Sorority

Connor Krugh representing Program Board and Delta Chi Fraternity

Lexi Weber representing Education Club

Daniel Shirley representing Education Club

Christopher Joseph representing the American Society of Civil Engineers

Ashley Kushner representing the American Society of Civil Engineers

Isa Lanthaler representing Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity

Tyler Weakland representing Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity

Jade Stubblefield representing Student Government Association

Devin Seiger representing Student Government Association