Smash the competition and win gaming prizes

Mary-Lynn Retassie

Sophomore Stephen Lui and junior Ryan Wasil play “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” in the Student Union’s Zone arcade room Feb. 15.

Callie Burgan, Opinions Editor

A “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” tournament is to be held Saturday in the Student Union’s arcade.

The event is to be hosted by the Roleplaying Games Club members and sponsored by Cartridges Galore Video Games along Eisenhower Boulevard.

Event organizer Ben Campbell said that the event is open to everyone of all skill levels.

“The tournament is divided into two parts. The first part is 1 versus 1 and designed for those who want to show off their skills.

“The second part is 2 versus 2, so people can grab their friends and show everyone why their team is the strongest,” Campbell said.

“At the moment, we have over $100 in gift cards for the people who get the farthest in either tournament.” 

The 1 versus 1 tournament starts at 1 p.m., and the 2 versus 2 starts at 8 p.m.

“It would be helpful to the people running the event for participants to show up a little bit early so that we can get you signed in,” Campbell said.

Junior Isabella Xu said she is looking forward to the event.

“I would love to see more events focused around gaming in the future,” Xu said.

“I think that a night spent at a Super Smash Bros. tournament, whether you are a player or a spectator, should be a lot of fun.”

The entry fee is $2 to anyone who signs up ahead of time and $5 at the door.

Campbell said that anyone looking for more information, or to sign up, can email him at [email protected].