Students practice dining with manners

Sophomores Bryanne Baughman (left),  Samantha Albert (middle) and Abigail Witkosky (right) learn proper etiquette at a dinner Wednesday in the Cambria Room.

Abby Gontis

Sophomores Bryanne Baughman (left), Samantha Albert (middle) and Abigail Witkosky (right) learn proper etiquette at a dinner Wednesday in the Cambria Room.

Justin Schmithorst, Staff Writer

On Wednesday evening in the Cambria Room, an Etiquette Dinner was provided for students to learn how to properly eat and drink.

Attendees were given pamphlets containing tips for dining etiquette, including pointers for alcohol consumption and which utensils are for what food.

By the time the dinner started, tables were mostly full, and there were not many extra seats.

Among those in attendance were freshmen Abigail Marsh and Ethan Dewit.

Marsh said she went with the expectation of learning some useful things about dining, while Dewit said he went not expecting to learn much.

Dewit said that he went because he likes to dress up and was looking forward to enjoying a four-course meal.

The dress code for the dinner was business casual.

The meal started with French onion soup and was followed by salad then by the main entrée: chicken doused in a white sauce alongside rice and sautéed vegetables.

For desert, there was an option of a fruit cup with whipped cream or a small serving of cookies and cream spread with raspberries and blueberries.

The dinner was hosted by Sodexo Catering Manager Derek Krajc, who lectured about the pamphlet’s pointers and gave those attending a chance to try the tips for themselves.

This was the third year that Sodexo has hosted this event, said Krajc, who has hosted the dinner every year.

“The intention of the event was to prepare graduating seniors with a guideline for behavior in situations involving interviews and social interactions,” said Krajc.

Krajc said that he hopes that students learn the importance of manners, behavior and social interaction in the business atmosphere.

According to Krajc, Sodexo managers plan to hold the dinner next year.

When the dinner ended, Marsh said that her expectations were met.

“There were a lot of useful tips, like  I didn’t know you were supposed to put the napkin on the table when you got up to leave.”

Dewit said that good manners are mostly common sense.